Banner: Special aid for Veterans

Special aid for Veterans

Special aid for veterans

If you're a veteran, you can get money to help pay for training and college. Learn about veterans' benefits and forms of financial aid.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill

If you are a veteran with an honorable discharge who provided military service for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001, you are eligible to receive education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 GI Bill. Financial aid awards depend on how long you served in the military.

To learn more and apply online, visit the GI Bill website. You'll find the link in the Resources box, below.

Grants and loans

The federal government is the largest source of financial aid. It provides both grants (money you don't need to repay) and loans (money you will need to repay). Federal loans have much better repayment deals than private bank loans. To apply for federal aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Work-study programs

The FAFSA is also used to apply for the federal work-study program, where students work at their college to help pay college costs. Read more at Financial aid. The VA also offers a special work-study program for veterans. Learn more on the GI Bill website, below.


You may be eligible for scholarships based on your military service or other circumstances. Scholarships provide money you don't need to repay. Check out these resources:

  • Use CareerOneStop's Scholarship Search to find funds especially for vets and disabled vets. Find the link below.
  • Go to the website of your military branch to see what scholarships are available.
  • Visit to find scholarship and guidance resources by state. Find the link below.
  • Contact your school's veterans-affairs office or financial aid office for scholarships for veterans.

Fee waivers

Some colleges don't require veterans to pay certain fees after applying for a fee waiver. Check with a financial aid officer to find out your college's policy.

Find State Resources
Find State Resources