Basic skills include many types of skills. Here are some examples:
- Reading and writing
- Speaking and verbal communication
- Work readiness
- Workplace safety
- Using computers and the Internet
Employers look for workers who have these skills. If you have been out of school for a long time, or just want to improve your basic skills, there are free classes available.
Were can you find basic skills training?
Use the links below o find tese types of training:
- The Goodwill Community Foundation offers free online classes in basic skills at their website, LearnFree.org.
- The National Literacy Directory lets you search for community education programs in any U.S. location.
- The OSHA Outreach Training Program provides workers with basic and more advanced training about common safety and health hazards on the job.
- Your nearest American Job Center can help you find local basic skills classes.