Want to get started in college or a training program, but don’t have a solid plan yet?
Setting a goal is a great place to start your training journey. Goals give you something to plan your activities around. And they’re a way to measure your success.
Setting education goals is not complicated. Your goals can be as complex or as simple as you want. Get started with the steps below.
1. Think about your overall education goals. Your overall goals might be the answer to one of the following questions:
- What do you want to get out of education?
- How do you want to put your training or education to work?
- How do you want to feel once you have accomplished your educational goal?
2. Write a clear goal statement. This doesn’t need to be long. It might be one of the following:
- Get a better job
- Get a job in a different field
- Get a promotion
- Finish your bachelor's degree
- Feel better about yourself
- Set an example for your children
- Earn more money
- Enhance and expand your skills
- Explore an interest or hobby
3. Identify steps that will move you closer to your goal. These will become your education or training activities. Everyone will have different activities, depending on where they are in their planning. Some activities you might include are: