Banner: Find money for training

Find money for training

Find money for training

Wondering if you’re eligible for any financial assistance to help you pay for training?

You may be eligible for programs that help cover the cost of training or retraining.

Do you have demonstrated financial need?

You might be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. These grants do not need to be paid back and they are awarded by the U.S. Department of Education to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. The maximum Pell grant award is $6,495 for 2021-22. Learn more about grants from the U.S. Department of Education’s Student Financial Aid Office.

Are you a veteran?

As a veteran, you have several options to help pay for school. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administers several education benefit programs, and many veterans can qualify for more than one program. Read about the Post-9/11 GI Bill and other programs.

If you do qualify for veterans’ education benefits, you’ll want to make sure you enroll in an eligible program. You can search for VA-approved programs to make sure a program is eligible. You can use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to determine the cost at your chosen school and compare that with other schools.

Learn more about going back to school as a veteran at CareerOneStop's Veteran and Military Transition Center.

Have you been laid off from a job?

If you were laid off as part of a mass layoff, you may qualify for training services through the Dislocated Worker program through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Services vary by state.

If you lost your job or had your hours reduced as a result of increased imports, you may qualify for assistance through the Trade Adjustment Act (TAA).

To find out if you qualify for these programs, contact your local American Job Center.

Your reduced income after a lay-off might also make you eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.

Do you receive SNAP?

If you qualify for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program food benefits, you may also qualify for a SNAP E & T training program to help you gain career skills. Contact your SNAP office to learn more.

Have you completed the FAFSA?

Whether or not you qualify for the veterans’ or dislocated worker benefits described above, you may qualify for federal financial aid in the form of grants and loans to help pay for school. The first step to getting federal financial aid is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Have you searched for scholarships?

Read more about scholarships and search for opportunities that can help you pay for education.

Do you qualify for tax benefits?

If you pay any amount for higher education, you will likely qualify for a tax credit or deduction. This can reduce the amount of taxes you pay, or increase a refund. Either way, it can help make education and training expenses more affordable. Visit the latest IRS information on Tax Benefits for Education.